Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We are currently working on SOL 7.1 (compare, order and determine equivalent relationships between fractions, decimals, percents and to include scientific notation). We created a game of "WAR" using cards that have a decimal, percent, fraction or number written in scientific notation. The game can be played in pairs or groups of three. Deal out all the cards and each student turns over one card. The student with the highest value wins the hand. My students really enjoy it and are required to show their work.

5 comments:

  1. In a class period, how long do you usually let your students play the WAR game? I want to implement this activity in my lesson, and I want to have an idea of how long I should plan for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will fit with SOL 6.1 and 6.4 as well. Thanks for the idea-it sounds like one my students will love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it!!!!!! This will be a great review activity for my students. I have the same question as Vicki. How much time do you allot for this activity

    ReplyDelete
  4. This also matches SOL objective 8.1. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used something very similar in the past and the students love it. Works great as a station activity for about 15-20 mins.

    ReplyDelete