Sunday, February 14, 2010

SOL review

It's that time of year when I start to wonder what my students remember from earlier in the year, We have started reviewing SOL's, and I wanted to get some of your opinions and strategies on what has worked for you in the past. At my school we are dividing our students up by ability levels to differentiate the instruction. They are divided into 3 groups, "enhanced"(they have it down and just need a little refresher), the "target group"-(need some work but should be able to master the material with more work), and the "prerequisite group", (these students are way behind and need a lot of re-teaching). We are team teaching these kids for the first time this week, I'll let you all know how it works next month.

4 comments:

  1. I have a giant 3-ring binder with all of the released SOL items in it, broken down by SOL. I will go over the released items by SOL during the weeks right before testing. It helps them to see actual questions and understand the wording of the questions they will see. Plus it's a good, quick way to efficiently review for the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my post from December 19 called "Five of the same". This is a good way to SOL review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We pull back kids from their exploratory and PE classes on Fridays only for extra help. Have an hour once a week to tighten up skills has been very helpful for the kids struggling. I have the advanced students asking to come back on Fridays to help the struggling students, so I use it as a peer tutor time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My team and I pull students from elective classes for 45 minutes on Thursdays to remediate with them. This is really working as we zoom in on specific objectives. after we remediate with them, we give them an assessment to see how well they have improved and this really help us to know if they have made progress on that objective.

    ReplyDelete