Monday, February 15, 2010

Algebra Rap

A sixth grade student is required to know the difference between variables, coefficients, terms and equations. I came up with a little "rap" to help them differentiate between the four vocabulary words. As we all know, they can remember anything when it is put in a song!

A variable is a symbol you see, like a circle, a square or an A B C.
You get that symbol with a number in front and that number becomes your coefficient.
A term is easy, there's no need to fuss! You just take away the minus and the plus.
Put it all together with an equal sign, and Yo! Yo! Yo! It's equation time!

You may be able to persuade me at our April meeting to perform this if your having trouble picking up my rhythm! I hope this helps!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I have always wanted to put all math concepts to some kind of song; I just don't have a talent for song writing. I will try your rap with my struggling 8th graders. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always admire people who can come up with raps. The kids love the songs and performing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My experience is the same. Although I wouldn't enjoy it. Many students do respond to them.

    ReplyDelete