Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Math Talk

Something that has been working great for my classes is challenging students answers. I no longer just accept an answer. Right or wrong, I have them justify their answer. Then, even after I have then justify, I ask other students whether they agree or disagree and explain why. Doing this, I have come to understand better my students' thought processes and methods. Other students may have gotten the same answer, but came upon it differently. They desire to share their new or different method with the class. With this, I have seen students' engagement, confidence, and vocabulary grow. It also gives way for students to teach others. This has greatly and positively effected my classroom environment.

1 comment:

  1. I like this format, it sounds relatively uncomplicated. Do you have any suggestions for specific prompts or a script that has worked well for you?

    ReplyDelete