Thursday, February 4, 2010

Seating Strategy

This strategy came from a Dan Mulligan Workshop--and I love it!! When I arrange my classroom, I put the desks in groups of four. Two students sit shoulder to shoulder, facing the other two students who are also sitting shoulder to shoulder. The students sitting next to each other are...ready?...shoulder partners. The students facing each other are called...you got it...face partners. It is important to know the mathematical level of your students for this to work the best. Your shoulder partners should be paired with a one-level difference. (A strong math student should be paired with an average math student and a struggling math student should be paired with an average math student.) Face partners, however, should be of the same mathematical level. Sometimes students work with their shoulder partners and sometimes they work with their face partners, depending on the nature of the activity. Grouping students in this way has really helped my cooperative learning groups reach new heights!

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Are there ever any kids how are left outZ? What about an odd number?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I will have to give it a try. Did Mr. Mulligan say if this seating strategy only works for classes that are multiples of four?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, there are times when someone is left out. If students are absent I try to pair the remaining partner with another singleton. Sometimes I just have a group of three, but if that seems to happen often, I switch the groups around so no child is constantly in a group of three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll give this a try. It might be a good way to conduct our SOL reviews as we get closer to the testing window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this in my classroom and it is a really great tool. It allows me to go around and concentrate on my slower learners, because I can count on the majority of the class helping each other through the rough spots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta try this. Totally makes sense. I've struggled at times while trying to create groups. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really sounds like a great way to group students with mixed abilities. It will be utilize cooperative learning groups more effectively.

    ReplyDelete