Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reviewing for the Midterm Exam

My Geometry students are scheduled to take their Midterm Exam next week. To review all the material that we have learned in class from the beginning of the school year, I asked them to work on a group project. For each class, I have my students to separate themselves into eight groups (3-4 people/group). Since we have covered eight SOLs so far, each group is responsible for presenting the key concepts for one of the SOLs. To help them to be more organized and ensure that they all have an active role in the project, I assigned each student a "job" in each group [1st member: Find all the key concepts from the given SOL; 2nd member: Record all the key concepts; 3rd member: Present the key concepts (give examples) to the class; 4th member: Leader of the group, assist all members].

It worked very well with my Geometry classes last year, which was the first year I implemented this "project" idea into my review lessons. I am not sure if my students will benefit from this activity this year, but I will definitely let you all know. However, most of students told me that they like working on a project like this. Compared to other subjects, they said that they rarely have projects like this in their math classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment