Monday, November 23, 2009

Tarsia

Tarsia is a simple computer program that allows you to create puzzles that students solve by matching. I used this during SOL 7.1. The student had to match fractions, decimals, and percents. One of the finished puzzles looks something like the image to the right. There are a number of different options and shapes.
Suffolk Schools will install the program with a tech request. I requested it one afternoon and had it the following morning. It's also available for free to download from the Tarsia website.
Most of the time I had the kids work in pairs and they loved it. They've been bugging me to make one for area & perimeter.

3 comments:

  1. I've used the Tarsia puzzles in my class and the students enjoyed it. It took them a bit to get going but once they caught on it went quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to try this! My students had a hard time ordering decimal, fractions, and percents, so this may just help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I have not seen these before but they look like something the students will really enjoy. (And they can never seem to have too much help with fractions, decimals, and percents!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete