Tuesday, November 24, 2009

AngLegs

I've made lots of use of the AngLegs lately teaching SOL 7.7 . The are great to show the students how perimeter is like a distance and by pulling the sides apart we merely get a straight line. It helps them to understand keeping the units straight for perimeter vs. area. Also, I made a parallelogram with them, layed it flat on a table, and poured some beans inside....making sure they were flat and not piled. As I adjusted the shape of the parallelogram the students could see how the side lengths stayed the same but the area changed as the beans started to overflow the borders of the AngLegs.

Also used one of the Sir Cumference books and it went well with some students however, others were bored.

2 comments:

  1. I like these angle legs so much better than the brads used in the past...the snaps are so much easier. The picture books can be a challenge...was the boredom that the students already had heard Sir Cumference previously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used AngLegs in my class before. However, I like the activity that we did with Dr. Mason from the last SURN workshop. I am planning to incorporate that activity when I teach the properties of quadrilaterals later on this year. Thank you for sharing how you use AngLegs for teaching perimeter and area. I really like it and I will definitely try it in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete