Sunday, November 15, 2009

Promethean Activevotes

I have a Promethean "Smart" board in my room. I have been using it for everything. I was not that familiar with it so I just began using it as an extension of my computer, e.g. flipcharts and powerpoints. Then I found the ActiveVotes - wow! I have a changed class atmosphere - the students everyday come in and ask if we are using the "eggs" as we call them, and that encourages class participation as well as giving me a plethora of ways I can assess their progress, know what their weaknesses are, teach, and just let them learn. Further I do not have to be concerned about a messy chalkboard!

The thing that has been the most useful is when I use it for the daily warm-up. Our daily warm-ups are given to us by the district but I like to remind them of the things we have done in the past - especially topics in which they struggled but pacing has required us to move on. So we do a daily warm-up consisting of 5 to 10 items that address the current topic, their areas of weaknesses, and just review of topics they understand. They are very competitive and love it when they get it right, but when they get it wrong - they immediately know (instant feedback) and if a lot of them get it wrong it is a chance to review. Otherwise a student gets to go up to the board and show how they got their answer and the whole class gets a chance to see where they made their error.

My measure of success is on Friday, mid-class, how many students are still with me and wanting to learn and so far I have been amazed that they will work up to the bell! It is a fantastic tool!

1 comment:

  1. I looked up the Promethean Activevotes. We actually have some at our school that no one is using. Of course based on your post I thought I would try it. Tomorrow will be my first time trying to incorporate it in the classroom. I can already see the possibilities and benefits. I will let you know how it goes. Hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete