Monday, November 30, 2009

INTEGER CHIPS

Teaching adding/subtracting integers is sometimes a difficult lesson for students to grasp. I have used the integer chips(red/yellow chips) to give the students a pictorial view of the concept for the last few years and the seem to understand better when I demonstrated adding and subtracting using the chips.

I have an overhead set of the red/yellow chips which makes it very easy to demonstrate. Having the pictorial view is very beneficial for students who are visual learners. They are able to see the red chips represent negative and yellow represent positive. This is also great when explaining zero pairs to add or subtract integers. Subtracting integers appears to be harder than adding integers and when using the integer chips it is easier for the students to see that we're actually adding the opposite by showing them how we're doing it and not just telling them this is what is done!

The only down fall in using the chips is when problems consist of large numbers. Who wants to count out 25+ chips? Plus that can be very time consuming! So, just stick with smaller numbers when demonstrating with the integer chips.

If anyone has any other ideas about teaching integers please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I also use these chips with integers. With larger number I've tried setting up problems something like this to show zero pairs:
    100 + -90 =
    90 + -90 = 0
    10 positives left over so your answer is +10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to add that Algebra Tiles also work very well for teaching adding and subtracting integers. Basically, they have the same idea of the Integer Chips. Since I teach solving equations using Algebra Tiles, I like to use Algebra Tiles when teaching integers. It serves as an introduction unit for Algebra Tiles for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past, we have used "macaroni math" to solve integer problems. We use actual macaroni with the open ends up (looks like a u or smile for positive) and open ends down (looks like a frown for negative) It's easy to match up 0 pairs. Later we move to drawing these instead of the macaroni. After all, they won't have real macaroni or chips when they test, but they can always draw in the smiles or frowns. I have found thst the students would prefer to draw these rather the + and - to solve problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to use the integer chips to teach my students integers. They know that the red represent negative and the yellow represent positive. I also taught them that if they do not have chips, they can use 'R' to represent red and 'Y' to represent yellow. They like this because once they learn integers using the chips, some of them have problems when we start using the rules. Therefore some students always revert to writing 'R' and 'Y' when solving integer problems. I really agree with you that this can pose a problem when working with larger numbers. Eventually my students get the rules and move away from the chips.

    ReplyDelete