Monday, November 16, 2009

Fractions in Action

I used the fraction transparency squares to help introduce the concept of multiplying fractions. The kids really liked them and it made the concept easier for them to understand. However, I wish I had a class set of them so that the students could see the multiplication process at their desks easily and they could work their problems out faster. I had the kids fold paper to represent the fractions and the multiplying process. However, this took alot of time to model and for the students to complete their problems. Does anyone know where I can get a class set of them cheap?

3 comments:

  1. I am having the same problems. At the SURN workshop Dr. Mason gave us 2 Fraction workbooks. In one of them is a lesson on multiplying fractions similar to the colored transparencies we were given. You can copy these two pages on to transparencies and use them, but they would only be in black and white - I am trying it this week. I will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use sharpie markers on the transparencies for cool colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can scan the pages from the Fraction workbook or make your one on the computer in a drawing program then color them in using the program and print them on transparency film. Just be sure you use a printer transparency and not a copier transparency or the ink will come off.

    ReplyDelete