Saturday, May 1, 2010

Student Monitored Progress

As we are remediating students on weak areas from their last benchmark, I created a form to track their progress. Last year, I kept track of their growth and filled in the form for them. This year, I am letting them do it to see their progress. On the form, they have their percentage on each SOL. When I pull them to work in small groups, they first check their benchmark percentage so they can understand why their working on the particular strand. After our remediation, I give them a quick quiz and have them record their new percentage. The excitement in them as they record the new score and see their progress has increased motivation. I now have students asking to work in small groups more to target areas where they once struggled. This has greatly affected in a positive way their attitude and confidence in their ability to succeed on the SOL.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of having the students fill out thier own forms and participate in tracking thier progress. I am going to use this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First,it is important for the students to understand what their strengths and weaknesses are in order to maximize small group remediation. And having the students chart their progress is the most important ingredient to student by in. Once you get that student by in,the student is more apt in coming to remediation after school and requesting extra work in the area of weakness.

    ReplyDelete