Friday, May 7, 2010

Smartboard

Our school only has one Smartboard that we all have to share. I have reserved it for the next two weeks and my students are loving it. I have seen such a change in those actively learning and more and more wanting to be involved in the learning. They love that when they use their finger the words magically appear. I also gave a mini-lesson to another teacher on how to use the smartboard in her classroom and she got excited. In Suffolk it has become a lost treasure and they are working on moving away from the Smartboard to simply using the Interwrite software/hardware with the MPCarts. It is such a disservice to our students who are apathetic to the learning already. I have invited my principal to come in and check out the difference it is making in my class. If you have one in your building I'd love to hear success stories it has created in your classroom. I am really trying to push one for every math teacher at least(wishful thinking considering the budget "crisis"). I even asked one for mother's day from my husband...he even laughed at me.

4 comments:

  1. I started using a smartboard this year. Previously my school had one that you had to sign up to use. his didn't work very well, and one teacher ended up using it the entire year. I now have on that stays in my classroom, and I am addicted to it, and don't know how I ever taught without one. The kids love it and have become very adept at using it. I don't know if it can all be attributed to the smartboard, but my test scores are much better this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'smart boards' in our school are all hard mounted in classrooms. We are not able to check them out at all. This really bums me out as I want very much to use them for my students. Being inclusion, I realy feel that this would be a perfect differentiation tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct in that the students seem to retain the skills more when presented from the smartboard. The smartboard seems to address all learning modalities, and is always a winner when needing a kinestic activity. Some teachers prefer not to allow the students to touch or interact with the smartboard. To me that defeats the entire concept of using the smartboard within instruction. Addtionally, I love saving student work and pulling it up later for a review. Excellent artifacts to use when having to refer back to a specific skill. I always say remember when we..... and support the opening phrase with student artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have as rough a set of students as anyone, and I have had no problem letting them write and do problems on the smartboard. most of them enjoy getting up in front of the class and showing off what they know. I have not had an instance where they have damaged it in any way- let 'em use it!

    ReplyDelete