Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grades and Achievement

As we are wrapping up the year I find myself in a familiar but very uncomfortable place: grades. There are students who have worked very hard and made marked improvements over the year and improved their testing scores by 20 points or more, but they are still failing. I have students that come to me, as I am sure we all do, that are significantly below grade level. Adding with decimals should not be a big issue in the seventh grade, but it is.

So, when you are faced with a student that is clearly not performing at grade level, how can they receive a passing grade in your class? At the same time how do you send a student who has worked diligently all year long home with a failing grade? I know this is a can of worms but I struggle with this and would love to hear some opinions.

1 comment:

  1. I have given grades on test based on improvement more than the actual letter grade. For example, if a student goes up by 20 points they get an A. If a student goes up 5-19 points, they get a B. If a student goes up by 0-5 points, or down 0-5 points, they get a C. If they go down by more than 5 points, they get a D. As long as they have tried every problem, they do not get an F.

    ReplyDelete