Thursday, May 20, 2010

Capital B

My students are constantly forgetting the difference between b and B when used in formulas (base vs area of base). They see the that it is a b and it doesn't matter that it is capitalized. They make the same mistake over an over and over and over when trying to find the volume of a pyramid. I'd love suggestions on how I can get them to remember the difference. My telling them over and over and over again is not working! I have no doubt that they are going to have to find volume of a pyramid on the SOL and I don't want a simple mistake like that to hurt them.

1 comment:

  1. I always refer my students back to the net. By breaking apart the net, the student can see how the 2-D shapes create a 3-D shape. From this discovery, this allows the student to create their own formula in finding the surface area and volume. Afterwards, we compare and contrast their formula to the standard formula. This really deepens their understanding.

    ReplyDelete