Monday, March 8, 2010

Vertical Communication

I would like to know more about experiences that you have had with vertical communications. I know I spend a lot of time thinking about why in the world my students do not know certain information (like how to multiply). I would like to work on a project to help me find an avenue in which I can talk with the elementary school teachers to see where the break down is occuring. If they find out that in the 7th grade their students cannot not demonstrate this skill, then maybe we can all work together to find a more effective way to teach and review it throughout the students' math career.

If you have been given the opportunity to meet with and discuss strategies with the other math teachers in your district, at various levels, I would love to hear how it was structured.

2 comments:

  1. I teach 6th grade math. We have discussed this type of "planning sessions" this year, but we have not been able to come up with time or place that is conducive to both elementary and middle. We have thrown around some ideas about using our professional development time at the beginning of the year to try this next year when eveyone has the same schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had any experience with vertical training beyond our school walls. I think it would be very helpful though.

    ReplyDelete