Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Method for SOL 7.22

I've been using a "two column" method for SOL 7.22 (One step equations and inequalities). It works well with the ThinkPads I've been using in that it helps kids to keep their work more organized and on track with following the steps. Basically they fold their paper in half "hot dog" style and then in half from end to end two more times. This creates two columns and four rows. One column is for the solution and the other for the check. I happen to have four steps for both the solution and the check but, you may use something different. I've found that keeping both sides to 4 steps helps them remember the steps easier. Even if some steps are somewhat automatic. This small paper folding excercise has become very routine for the students in that it is very similar to the ThinkPads I spoke about in a previous post. Their work is much easier to review and it's been a tremendous help this year. I believe it's also helped them to organized their thoughts and recall steps also.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the two columns. I have always tried to get my students to check their equation solutions and the two-column idea sounds great. It will force them to show a check. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm just hoping they stick to it at test time. I'm still have trouble with getting them to follow or understand the steps but the two-column method is definately helping me help them.

    ReplyDelete