Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3//=CvS

I was teaching my Geometry students about parallel lines and angle pairs:
-If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, then each pair of alternate interior angles is congruent.
-If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, then each pair of consecutive interior angles is supplementary.
-If two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, then each pair of alternate exterior angles is congruent.
At the end of my lesson, I asked my students to sum up what they have learned as a closure activity. One of my students went up to the board and wrote down "3//=CVS". I was confused, so I asked him to explain. He said to me, "Today in class, we learned three parallel lines theorems (3//) about (=) angles that are either congruent (C) or (v) supplementary (S)."

I thought that it is a very unique and fun way to help students memorize these theorems. Therefore, I would like to share it with everyone. I would never thought of it myself. I am always amazed how creative my students can be!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this idea. I will use it when reviewing and helping students who are still having difficulty with this area.

    ReplyDelete