Monday, December 14, 2009

Reducing Fractions

I find that sixth graders really struggle with reducing fractions, so I have them come up with the 3 characteristics of a reduced fraction themselves. I put 15 to 20 reduced (simplified) fractions on the board. Some of them have 1 in the numerator, some are consecutive like 3/4 or 8/9, and then the rest have a Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of 1. I put the fractions with 1's in the numerator in circles. The consecutively numbered fractions go in squares and then the remaining fractions go in triangles. I then have the students work together to come up with what each shape has in common. Obviously they have no trouble with the first 2 rules, but they tend to struggle with the "GCF is 1" rule. Once they have thought about it awhile, I have them list the factors for each numerator and denominator. From here I have them find the GCF. By this point they are able to give me the three things they need to look for to see if a fraction is reduced: The numerator is 1, consecutive numbers, the GCF is 1. The fact that they came up with the three rules themselves tends to make it stick a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment