Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Giving them the answers!

I really try to emphasize in my class that I'm not that worried about the answers. I want to see the process they go through to get the answers. I've tried a couple of things to help them out. One is that I give them a set of problems and just hand them the answers. They have to spend time figuring out how I got the answers. Another is to pair up students. Each person in the pair has a different set of problems, and their partner has the other person's answers. So, one person does a problem, and then the other checks if they are correct. If they aren't, this generates discussion as the students try to figure out how to get the correct answer. The kids really enjoy checking and helping each other.

5 comments:

  1. I have used this method very successfully in class. The kids think i am crazy when I give them the answers...until I tell them that they have to show how to work them out! I have them do the work individually and in pairs. I haven't tried giving one student the answers and another the problems. Sounds like it would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent! One of the biggest battles I have (especially with homework) is getting students to show work. I can't wait to see their faces when I assign homework and give them all the answers. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same issue with my students. Their only focus is getting an answer and not the process or even learning. They were shocked when they found out I knew the answers to homework was in the back of the textbook, and I gave them those problems anyway. My students this year have done a much better job showing work. I also stress to them the amount of credit they get for their work and not just the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to do this for a while but didn't know how to use it or implement it. Now that I have some strategies I believe I can incorporate this and make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share the same views as you do. Some students look at their neighbor’s paper and write the answer down. If a teacher does not care about how the students arrive at the answer, then he/she will just assume that the student understand the concept. If the student show the steps used to solve the problem, then this gives me a more accurate picture of the students’ knowledge. I do not accept work from my students without them showing justification. Therefore my students know that for every question they need to show how they arrived at their answer. This really helps my students with solving math problems.

    Almarie Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete