Sunday, December 6, 2009

APEX LEARNING

My school district is encouraging us, the Math teachers, to use the Apex Learning for Algebra and Geometry courses. Apex Learning is educational software that offers online courses in mathematics, science, English, Social Studies, Romance Languages, and Advanced Placement. The curriculum is organized into semesters, units, lessons, and activities. A typical semester includes 5 to 7 units, each with 3 to 6 lessons. A typical lesson comprises a number of activities including studies, practices, readings, journals, labs, discussions, projects, explorations, reviews, and embedded assessments. Although each Apex Learning online course provides a complete scope and sequence based on national and state standards, it does not align perfectly with the educational framework (SOLs) in the state of Virginia. Therefore, I need to pick and choose lessons on Apex Learning for my Geometry classes.

Overall, my students like the Apex Learning digital curriculum because it has a lot of interactive activities within each unit. For me, as an educator, I like Apex Learning because it changes my role in the classroom. Since I usually have my students work with Apex before I actually teach a concept, it allows my students an opportunity to become a self-learner, which in turn, allows me to be a facilitator/resource for them. Furthermore, I like the fact that students are allowed to use this program at home once a login ID is created for them.

2 comments:

  1. We are using something similar in our district but I will be interested to find out more about this and what the cost is for the program. Is there a website for those who want to find out more information that you could share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used APEX last year and it was a success with the Algebra 1 7th graders. It is engaging because it is interactive and on the computer. I like the at home component as well. The students seem to take a lot of pride in how much they are able to write and take notes on their own.

    ReplyDelete