Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I Can Learn

This year, my middle school has invested in a computer software program called I Can Learn. It is highly recommended to be fully integrated into the classroom nearly all day, every day. My school chose, however, to integrate the program partially, at only 2 days a week for 60-90 minutes. This software is well rounded with problems of the day, pretests, warm ups, lesson videos and notes, examples fully explained, tutorials, quizzes, section tests (pre-made and teacher made) as well as almost full SOL correlations. The program has a list of best practice strategies that add to its 20% increase in student test scores such as students wear headphones continually, notes are taken very methodically and thoroughly, a mastery level is to be set so students can not move on to the next lesson until, for example, a 70% quiz score is achieved, students write out all examples and quiz corrections, etc.
This year I have attempted full integration for 4 of my students from each block. There was criterion for selection, but to my amazement, the students are writing notes, focusing on their own computer screen, keeping their headphones on, and passing quizzes with scores I wondered if they could achieve. In speaking to these students about their math experience, more math vocabulary is being used and student engagement is increasing. I encourage everyone to take a look at the link to the website and watch the tutorial. Complete computer teaching is a futuristic sounding concept, but I have found success with it in my class for a select group this year.

http://www.icanlearn.com/default_new.asp

1 comment:

  1. This is very similar to a software program I used a few years called Cortez. It allowed the students to work on the computer while I worked with small groups. For some students it was very successful in the short term, but retention was an issue.

    ReplyDelete