Monday, April 19, 2010

Student Teacher

I currently have a student teacher in my room (which is a great blessing and she has been wonderful!). It is amazing though how funny our students are when it comes to something new in their environment or any type of change. It was interesting to watch how slowly they were willing to accept her into their lives. They were very skeptical at first – they were rebellious and rude at times. They asked me several times “why can’t you teach us anymore” when she officially took over the classes. I worked with her to create opportunities to earn trust which helped, and they eventually came around and now love her (most of them J).

It made me think about how over whelming that was for them, and that when we experience similar bouts of rebelliousness or rudeness in other parts of our teaching, that maybe we should consider some of the possible things that cause those behaviors that have absolutely nothing to do with us. Middle Schoolers (the only ones I have experience with) have lots going on in their bodies, brains, and lives outside of school. It just made me open my eyes to the fact that we may not always give them credit for all of those things when we must deal with these behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment