Sunday, September 26, 2010

Implementing the Magnificent Seven: Making Connections

Well now that the introductory period is over in my classes I am starting to blend literacy with my lessons. In my Honors Math Analysis classes I will begin functions, relations, graphs, et cetera. So for my opening lesson the students will be reading an article about the best and worst items to order from local restaurants. I am going to have my students use Marginalia to Make Connections with the text. After this they are going to draw a relation with the calories as the input (domain) and the fat grams (range). Their first relation will represent a function with one input for every output. The next relation will show an example of what a function is not (an input going to more than one output). Then the students will state the domain and range in set notation.

I have to admit that I am enjoying the process of finding different ways for my students to connect with mathematics!

No comments:

Post a Comment